Jaguar is a British luxury vehicle company owned by Tata Motors – one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world. Want more details about who makes Jaguar? Learn more from the team at Jaguar Princeton, your trusted Jaguar dealership near West Windsor.
What Is Tata Motors?
Tata Motors is an Indian automotive manufacturer headquartered in Mumbai that’s owned by the conglomerate Tata Group, which is involved in industries like hospitality, steel, and telecommunications. How does Jaguar fit into this? Find out below:
- Jaguar Cars and Land Rover were purchased by Tata Motors in 2008 and joined into Jaguar Land Rover Limited in 2013.
- Tata Motors owns multiple automotive operations worldwide in the commercial vehicle and passenger vehicle segments.
- Tata Motors belongs to Tata Group, but it originally started as a trading company in 1868. The Tata Group was known for milestones like India’s first hotel with electricity in 1907, Western India’s first hydropower plant, and the establishment of the Indian Institute of Science in 1911.
Who Owned Jaguar?
So who owns Jaguar? In 1922, Jaguar started in Blackpool, England by William Lyons and William Walmsley, as the Swallow Sidecar Company. It was later renamed to S.S. Cars Limited. In 1935, a sports sedan called the SS Jaguar was released alongside the open-top two-passenger sports car SS Jaguar 100. How did Jaguar become the luxury brand that we all know today?
- 1945: the S.S. Cars Limited was renamed Jaguar Cars Limited to stand out as a memorable brand.
- Jaguar became known for thrilling sports cars like the Jaguar XK120 and Jaguar E-TYPE and for international motorsports, which won the 1951 and 1953 Le Mans 24-Hour Race.
- 1965: Jaguar Cars is now part of British Motor Holdings Limited, which later merged with the Land Rover manufacturer Leyland Motor Corporation Limited, creating the British Leyland Motor Corporation.
- 1975: The British Leyland Motor Corporation became nationalized due to financial difficulties, but Jaguar became its own company again in 1984.
- Ford Motors purchased Jaguar in 1999 and purchased Land Rover in 2000, and then selling them both to Tata Motors in 2008.
Who Makes Jaguar / Where Is the Jaguar Factory?
Jaguar is owned by Tata Motors, but Jaguar Land Rover is headquartered in Coventry located about two hours north of London. Take a trip across the pond, and enjoy a Jaguar factory tour! Multiple plants across the world make both genuine Jaguar and Land Rover models. However, if you purchase your new Jaguar in the United States, it was most likely made in the main Jaguar assembly plant in Birmingham, England. Explore where Jaguar factories are located across the world below:
- Birmingham, England – Jaguar XE, XF, XJ, and F-TYPE
- Solihull, England – Jaguar F-PACE
- Wolverhampton, England – Engine assembly plant
- Graz, Austria – This facility is co-operated by Magna Steyr, and it manufactures the Jaguar E-PACE and I-PACE
- Changshu, China – Jaguar XE and XF, and engine assembly
- Pune, India – Assembly of complete knock-down kits* for the Jaguar XF and XJ
*A complete knock-down kit is a kit of parts that have been manufactured in one country (England for example). The kit is then sent to another country (India in this case) for final assembly.
Find Your Luxury New Jaguar Vehicle Near West Windsor!
Now that you know more about who makes Jaguar, it’s time to get behind the driver’s seat for a test drive. When you’re ready to upgrade your drives through Franklin Township and Edison, we can help at Jaguar Princeton. Give us a call if you have any questions or need to schedule a test drive.