Many drivers have concerns about buying cars out of state because they think that it will be difficult and stressful. Drivers bring up concerns about registration, taxes, fees, and geography that factor into the already stressful process of purchasing a new vehicle. Surprisingly, when you find that deal in another state, it’s pretty easy and similar to purchasing a vehicle in West Windsor. Our team at Jaguar Princeton has created a guide to help buyers in and around Edison with successfully buying a car in another state.
How to Buy A Car Out of State: Registration
When you are driving home in your new car from %%di_state%%, you may be wondering how you are going to register your new vehicle in your state. When you are getting a license plate for a vehicle that was purchased in a different state, you only need a few documents and to run to the DMV.
- Ask for a bill of sale with the purchase price you paid listed clearly and find your local DMV on DMV Near Me.
- When you visit your local DMV, make sure to have the following items with you:
- Bill of sale
- Completed application for vehicle transaction form
- Title of the vehicle signed by the previous owner (both if there is more than one)
- Lienholders’ names and address
- Filled out odometer disclosure state for title transfer
- Tax Form RUT-50 Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction
- Registration Fees
- Proof of insurance
- Proof of residency
Inform your DMV clerk that you bought the car out of state with the intent of titling and registering it at your address.
- The clerk will most likely return your bill of sale, but they will keep your %%di_state%% title, and ask that you pay the difference in sales tax between the two states.
- Keep your eye on your mailbox for a new title that should come shortly.
Buying a Car in Another State: Taxes and Fees
Your local sales tax and the difference between the other state’s sales tax, as well as the applicable processing fees at the DMV, are the only payments of significance you need to make after you purchase your new SUV, truck, or car in %%di_state%%. If you were registering your car in Franklin Township that you purchased in Franklin Township, then you would go through the process just the same as you do when registering the car you bought out of state.
Visit Us at Jaguar Princeton!
If you are looking for a new or used vehicle to purchase in Princeton, we have great deals for you. Explore our inventory to find a vehicle that can enhance your everyday driving. You can also explore our new and used vehicle specials for additional savings. You can contact our sales team with any questions about buying your new car out of state. Our team at Jaguar Princeton can help you get finance to make the purchase or answer any questions you have about financing your new or used cars. We are happy to help alleviate any stress you have when it comes to purchasing your new vehicle.